THE MOST VITAL ORGAN OF THE BODY IS THE HEART. THE HEART STARTS BEATING ASEARLYAS 3 WEEKS OF GESTATION AND STRUCTURALLY FORMED BY 7 WEEKS. The fetal echocardiography is the name of the test used to diagnose cardiac conditions in the fetal stage. It uses the ultrasound technology to image the fetal heart.Cardiac defects are among the most common birth defects. Their diagnosis is important in the fetal stage as it might help provide an opportunity to plan and manage the baby as and when the baby is born. Not all pregnancies need to undergo fetal echo.
The indications for fetal echocardiography are as listed below:
- Anticonvulsant intake
- Prev child with CHD
- Infections: Parvovirus, Rubella, Coxsackie
- AutoImmune Disease: Anti Rho/La positive
- Increased Nuchal thickness
- Abnormal ductus venosus
- Abnormal fetal cardiac screening
- Major extracardiac abnormality
- Abnormal Fetal karyotype
- Fetal dysrthythhmia. To date, no detrimental effects in humans have been demonstrated.
Fetal Echo is usually performed by a Cardiologist
At Getwell Medical Center , Dubai, Dr. Ashok Kapoor performs Fetal Echocardiography. For further details please contact on 050 4505865.